Design a house to accommodate the use of the elderly. There are 7 points that should be careful in elderly home design Let’s take a look at what needs to be done. and should not do
The ramp is not dangerous.
Making a ramp can waste a lot of space at home. But it becomes necessary when there are elderly people who have difficulty walking up and down stairs. or using a wheelchair The principle of making a safe ramp is as follows.
- There is a slope that can go up and down safely. The slope rates are as follows:
- The slope ratio is less than 1 : 10, too steep can be dangerous.
- Incline ratio 1 : 10 requires a wheelchair helper
- Incline ratio 1 : 12 – 1 : 20 wheelchair users can help themselves
- A ramp is not more than 6 meters long and has a width of not less than 90 centimeters. If the ramp is more than 6 meters long, there must be a platform 1.50 meters long, and if the total length of all ramps is more than 6 meters, the ramp must be width not less than 1.50 meters
- There must be a ramp edge at least 15 cm high to prevent the wheelchair wheels from falling.
- There are handrails with a diameter of 3-4 cm, and a height of 80-90 cm.
- There must be an open area in front of a ramp not less than 1.50 meters long.
- The ramp surface is made of non-slip materials such as washed sand, grooved concrete.
elderly home design Doors and handles are easy to open and comfortable to hold.
opening and closing the door And passing through the general door may be a barrier for the elderly and people in wheelchairs. Therefore, it should be designed to be convenient for the elderly and wheelchair users. It also makes transporting patients easy.
- Doors should have a net width of at least 90 cm. They are easy to open doors. such as sliding doors (pushing) and sliding doors
- If the door is open There must be at least 1.50 x 1.50 meters in front of the door opening to allow space for the wheelchair to move around to open and close the door.
- Choose a lever-type opening and closing device that is easier for the elderly to handle than a round knob.
- Handles for sliding doors Do not use embedded handles because they are not easy to hold. Should use a protruding handle to hold it more convenient.
- There are handrails that are convenient for elderly and wheelchair users.
the bathroom is not slippery wheelchair accessible
Bathrooms are another dangerous spot where the elderly often have accidents from slipping and falling. and having difficulty when changing manners in doing business especially in times of illness Let’s design a bathroom to be convenient and safe to use.
- The door is an opening or sliding door that is outside the bathroom. in order to be able to open to help even if someone fell in the door and has a net width of not less than 90 centimeters for wheelchair access
- same floor level Prevent tripping and wheelchair access By making a long trough drainage channel that can be installed to be level with the floor at the front of the door. and the floor between the wet and dry sections
- Inside the room, there is an open space at a radius of 1.50 meters to allow the wheelchair to turn.
- There are handrails to support the body at various points.
- have a shower seat may form a permanent seat floating chair or use a foldable wall mount
- Non-slip flooring Use a surface material with an anti-slip rating of R 10 or higher, or attach a non-slip strip. and clean the bathroom regularly Prevent slipping from dirt
- Use a lever faucet Easier to turn on and off
- The toilet bowl uses a lever type that uses less force than a push-button type. and a seat height of 45 centimeters, which the elderly will easily get up
- Use a height-adjustable shower rod.
- Use a wall-hung washbasin at the bottom of the open space. For people in wheelchairs that can be inserted in
Power socket-switch within reach, safe.
low power plug or behind a counter that has to be within reach making it more difficult for the elderly to use their daily life Should choose and install electrical outlets – switches to facilitate the use of the elderly.
- The light switch location should be easily accessible. not behind the counter or behind the door
- The power switch is large. And if you choose a model that has a light on the switch when the light is off. This will make it easier to press the switch at night.
- Increase safety by choosing a power outlet that has an on and off switch. It eliminates the need to unplug often. Reduce accidents from plugging in.
- The power plug should be installed about 90 centimeters high, so you don’t have to bend down to cause back pain. It’s also safe for young children.
Stairs can go up and down without getting tired, with stable handrails.
- Make a ball stand no more than 15 centimeters high and a horizontal ball at least 28 centimeters wide.
- Stairs are at least 90 centimeters wide and should have porches at every distance of no more than 2 meters to help not be too tired.
- Handrails are made of smooth, non-slip material, round in shape, diameter 3 – 4.5 centimeters and 5 centimeters from the wall, 70-90 centimeters high from the floor.
- The ends of the handrails at the first and final stages extend 30 cm further, allowing them to support themselves when transitioning from ascent to flat travel.
- If the stair surface is slippery Anti-slip strips should be attached. and colored stripes on the first and last steps as landmarks
- There is enough light to see the difference clearly.
Bed for sickness
Mattresses for the elderly should not be mattresses on the floor because they are too low. making it difficult for the elderly to get up and lie down and the bed is not too high to tiptoe There should also be an empty space around the bed for helpers to take care of, especially in times of illness.
- The bed should be 40 – 50 centimeters high so that it is comfortable to sit up. and has a height close to the height of a wheelchair
- The free space around Zhang is 90 – 120 centimeters wide for wheelchairs and to take care of the elderly around the bed.
- The edge of the bed and the edge of the corner are not angular that may cause injury.
- Have an emergency call device at your bedside, such as a doorbell and telephone.
Floors and wardrobes within reach
Picking things up on the shelf and in the closet can be more difficult. When elderly people with arm, shoulder and hunchback muscle problems, they are unable to pick up things in high places as usual. When there are elderly people in the house, the shelf height and clothes rail should be appropriately prepared.
- The shelf and clothes rail are 1.50 – 1.70 meters high or at the shoulder level and not over the user’s head level and 1 – 1.30 meters high for wheelchair users.
- It is recommended to make adjustable shelves and clothes rails from the start. to easily adjust according to the convenience of the user without having to dismantle
- frequently used items Should be stored in a cupboard or shelf with a height of waist or about 0.80 – 1 meter.
- Shelves and cabinets are not too deep to reach. with a depth of not more than 65 centimeters
Home Expert column, Baan Lae Suan magazine Aug. 65
About Sarayut Srithip-At
Illustration Ekarin Phantunin